Frequently Asked Questions
What are Medical Alert systems?
A Medical Alert system includes both a Medical Alert pendant or necklace and a Medical Alert bracelet connected to a speaker that provides emergency assistance at the push of a button; doing so puts you in contact with a trained operator, who sends emergency help to wherever you are.
Who should wear a Medical Alert system?
A Medical Alert system is ideal for anyone who would like peace of mind by getting 24-hour protection in case of a medical emergency, fire, or break-in by simply having a help button. It is especially for older adults or seniors who live alone and as shown by studies are more likely to suffer a fall at home. The Medical Alert system can also be used as a panic button. This emergency response system can even have fall detection which would alert operators if you are unable to in the event of a fall.*
What should I look for in a Medical Alert system?
Your Medical Alert system should be highly reliable, easy to use and install, UL-tested and come with battery backup in case of a power outage. In addition, emergency response personnel should be trained, certified and available 24 hours a day. You get all of this and more with a Medical Alert monitoring system.
What types of Medical Alert systems are available?
We have various options for different lifestyles. For example, we have an at-home medical alarm that works with a landline, an at-home medical alarm that works without a landline and a mobile Medical Alert system with GPS for outside the home. All of our Medical Alert systems have fall detection technology available. Fall detection is a help button that adds a layer of protection in the event of a fall where you cannot call out for help. For a detailed comparison of these devices, click here.
How do Medical Alert systems work?
It’s simple: You wear a Medical Alert button as a necklace or bracelet and, if you need emergency help, you push the button on your Medical Alert necklace or Medical Alert bracelet. The help button then sends a signal to the base of the medical alarm in your home, which connects to one of our monitoring service’s trained emergency response operators. The operator contacts you through the amplified, two-way speaker in the base of the medical alarm, assesses the situation and sends appropriate emergency help.
What kind of emergency help do I get?
That depends on what kind of emergency you’re having. If it’s a minor situation, Medical Alert can contact somebody (such as a neighbor or loved one) on your contact list and have them go to your house. For serious emergencies, our medical monitoring service will immediately dispatch an ambulance, or contact the police or fire station, depending on what you need.
Can I trust Medical Alert by Connect America?
Yes, Medical alert is a brand of Connect America. We stand behind our products with a 100% satisfaction guarantee and allow you to cancel at any time if you’re not satisfied. Plus, we’re a proud member of the Medical Alert Monitoring Association (MAMA) and have an A+ ranking with the Better Business Bureau. As the parent company of Medical Alert, Connect America is a government-approved provider of advanced products and services including telehealth and remote patient monitoring in over 30 states.
What components are included in the Medical Alert system?
- Home System: You will receive a base unit with a two-way speaker and a waterproof help button that can be worn on a lanyard or bracelet. For landline systems, a phone cord is included to attach your base device to the phone jack. A medical information card and step-by-step setup instructions are also included. Fall detection is available for this system as well.
- Mobile System: You will receive a handheld mobile device, a waterproof help button that can be worn on the wrist or around the neck, a carrying pouch, a charging cradle and a power cord. You will also receive a medical information card and step-by-step setup instructions. Fall detection is available for this system as well.
Will the Medical Alert system work in my area?
Yes, each of our systems works depending on the type of system.
- Home System: The Medical Alert system will work in all 50 states, as well as Canada, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Landline systems require that a compatible phone line is present. Cellular systems require that adequate cellular coverage is available.
- Mobile System: As long as adequate AT&T cell phone coverage is available.
What are the credentials of the monitoring stations?
We have several fully redundant, 5 diamond, UL certified, interlinked monitoring centers available to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week located in the USA. Our emergency centers are staffed by SIA-Certified multilingual operators.
Do I need a special type of phone line?
No. Medical Alert will work in your house with any type of phone line, and we also have a system that works if you have no landline at all.
Is the Medical Alert system waterproof?
Yes! Unfortunately, many falls happen in or around the shower or tub; with this top of mind, we made sure that buttons can be worn in the tub or shower. For an added layer of protection, we offer a fall detection help button which is also waterproof.
Can I use a Medical Alert system if I don’t speak English?
Yes, our Response Center staff includes employees who are native speakers of languages other than English; in addition, our operators are trained to use the International Language Line for real-time translation services in 140 languages. Contact us at 800-800-2537 for more details about the specific language you would need.
Is there a long-term commitment required?
No. We do require a Monitoring Agreement to be signed but there is no long-term commitment and customers can cancel services at any time.
What is your refund policy?
You can cancel your Medical Alert system monitoring subscription at any time. Once Medical Alert is in receipt of your equipment, we will complete your cancellation.
How do I cancel service and return the emergency response equipment?
Email CustomerRelations@medicalalert.com or call 800-800-1003 to cancel your service through one of our customer account representatives. Following confirmation of your cancellation, all customer equipment should be shipped to 816 Park Way, Broomall, PA 19008
Can I switch between Medical Alert systems?
Yes, we want you to always be protected. If you think a different Medical Alert system would work better for you, give us a call and let us know which Medical Alert system you would like to have.
How fast will I receive my Medical Alert system shipment?
Shipping times vary based on which option you chose for your order:
- Ground Shipping – 5-7 Business Days
- Overnight – Next-day delivery
All orders must be placed before 3 p.m. Mon-Thurs or before 2 p.m. on Friday to qualify for these shipping times. If orders are placed after 3 p.m. Mon-Thurs or after 3 p.m. on Friday the order will go out the next day.
What is the difference between the rate plans?
The best value and most popular option is our annual rate plan where you get free ground shipping and a free lockbox. Our semi-annual plan includes 6 months of service with free ground shipping and our monthly plan is a month-to-month option. For convenience, when you chose a rate plan, we will automatically take payment on the same day every month, 6 months, or 12 months depending on the rate plan you select. If you are unsure about which rate plan is good for you or if you have further questions, please call us and we can help you select the best rate plan for you.
What should I do with my Medical Alert system if I need to evacuate my home?
- Home System: Take your pendant and your in-home communicator with you if you are able. If you plug your in-home communicator in a temporary location, call our Customer Service team at the number listed on your in-home communicator to let us know where you are located and how long you expect to be there. When you get home you should place a test call by pressing your pendant or the button on your in-home communicator when you return home. If your equipment gets damaged, please contact us immediately upon your return home so that we can get new equipment shipped to you as soon as possible.
- Mobile System: Take your mobile medical alert system and charging pad with you if you are able. Your mobile pendant will work outside of your home as long as it is charged and is in a place with adequate cellular network coverage. When you get home, you should place a test call by pressing your pendant. If your equipment gets damaged, please contact us immediately upon your return home so that we can get new equipment shipped to you as soon as possible.
What should I do with my Medical Alert system if I lose power?
- Home System: If you lose power, your Medical Alert system will work for a limited time off of a backup battery. If your in-home communicator relies on a landline connection to send a help signal, your in-home communicator will not function if your phone service goes down. When your power is restored, please test your system immediately to ensure it is working properly. If you cannot successfully complete a help call, contact our Customer Service as soon as possible so that we can assist you.
- Mobile System: Your mobile pendant will work as long as it is charged and is in a place with adequate cellular network coverage. When your power is restored, please test your system to ensure it is working properly. If you cannot successfully complete a help call, contact our Customer Service team as soon as possible so that we can assist you.