MAKE SURE YOUR MEDICAL ALARM SYSTEM IS SET UP PROPERLY BEFORE ACTIVATING YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR. DO NOT REMOVE BATTERY PULL TAB FROM THE SMOKE DETECTOR UNTIL MOUNTING INSTALLATION IS COMPLETE! Removing the tab prematurely will cause the smoke detector to sound an alarm at any time.
A self-adhesive mounting plate is attached to the mounting bracket.
Remove the adhesive cover on the back of the mounting plate adhere to the desired location.
Note: Please be aware the adhesive back can cause damage to your wall surface upon removal.
Screw Mount Installation
Remove the adhesive mounting plate by gently lifting the tab on the mounting plate and sliding in the opposite direction.
Using the mounting bracket as a template, in each of the keyholes, draw a mark for the mounting plug and screw.
Using the two screws and mounting plugs included, attach the mounting bracket to the wall.
Line up the slot of the bracket and the smoke detector. Push the detector onto the mounting bracket and turn it clockwise to fix in place. Pull forward on the smoke detector to make sure it is securely attached to the mounting bracket.
Using Your System
Now that your smoke detector is installed, call 855-629-1795 to put your medical alarm unit on test for 30 minutes so you do not create a False Alarm that could cause the Fire Department to be dispatched unnecessarily.
Activate and Test
Remove the battery pull tab and the smoke detector will power on.
Press the test button on the smoke detector 5 consecutive times. Pause, then press again 1 time.
In a few seconds, your Medical Alert System will announce, CALLING FOR HELP. Let the device process the test and you will be prompted through the automated call system.
Cancelling a False Alarm
Press the black RESET button on the back of your Medical Alarm System.
Wait for the emergency response operator to speak to you over the two-way on your medical alarm system or your home phone and let them know it is a false alarm. Fan smoke away from the smoke detector to stop beeping.
Important: Never take the battery out to stop the device from beeping.
Tips to Keep You Safe
- Place your smoke detector on the ceiling or high on the wall (not more than 12 inches from the ceiling).
- For pitched ceilings, install the detector within 3 feet of the peak but not within the apex of a peak.
- Place your smoke detector 20 feet from a cooking area to minimize false alarms.
- Always replace your battery with a lithium “123” battery that can be found at your local CVS, Walgreens or hardware store.
- Test your smoke detector once a month, by pressing and holding the test button until you hear a beep.
- Develop a Family Escape Plan – draw a map of your home and discuss the plan with everyone in the family identifying all ground floor exits.
- Practice your Escape Plan at night and during the day with everyone in the home twice a year.
- Have an outside meeting place – (like a tree, light pole or mailbox).
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
What to Avoid?
- Do not install near windows, doors or ducts where drafts might interfere with their operation.
- Do not place in very cold or very hot areas.
- Do not place in very dusty or dirty areas.
- Do not install directly over a sink, cooker, stove or oven.
- Do not install outside or in a garage.
- Do not place in damp or very humid areas, or near bathrooms with showers.
- Do not install in or below a cupboard.
- Do not paint smoke detectors.
- Never remove battery from smoke detector to stop a nuisance alarm. Open a window or fan the air around the smoke alarm to get rid of the smoke. The alarm will turn itself off when the smoke is gone.
- Smoke detector may not be heard if residents are hearing impaired.
- Smoke detector may not wake all individuals if they are sound sleepers.
- The smoke detector battery compartment contains a red spring load arm that must be slid to the down position when inserting the battery. The arm will prevent the detector cover from closing if the battery is not installed.
- Make sure your battery is place facing the right direction.
- When replacing the battery, hold down the tamper switch to prevent the smoke detector from beeping.